Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Why are the wicked prospering?


Have you ever wondered why a lot of wicked people, or people that could care less about Jesus seem to have everything they want and then some? I have often wondered why people that are living for the world and not Jesus tend to have all these things. They have the big houses, fancy cars, they can eat out every night, have plenty of money and don't have to worry about anything. Then on the other hand you have people that follow Jesus daily that tend to struggle in life. I realize there are Christians that have nice things and plenty of money, so this message would not be for you. But from my perspective I see the wicked enjoying life with all the things they want. Things that tend to make them happy, while I'm following Jesus and I live paycheck to paycheck. It doesn't add up in my human mind. Well, as He always does, God points me in the right direction when I started thinking about this. I was reading Psalm 92 today, and in verse 7 it says this. "Though the wicked sprout like grass and all evildoers flourish, they will be eternally destroyed." After reading this I realized that our treasures are in heaven. Matthew 6:19-21 says this "Don't collect for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal. But collect for yourselves treasure in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves don't break in and steal. For where you treasure is, there your heart will be also." Let me tackle Psalm 92:7 first. God says that the wicked will be eternally destroyed. This means that when these people die without Jesus they will go to hell where they are eternally destroyed. So while they are enjoying these things and putting their hearts into their possessions instead of Jesus they will lose all they have never to see it anymore. So back to being a Christian and Matthew 6. We should put our hearts into Jesus, follow Him daily and gain treasures in heaven instead of on earth. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with having nice things and being able to enjoy them, just don't put those things before God because it is by His grace you have them to begin with. So do we really need anything on earth? Not really, God will meet our basic needs, beyond that everything else is an extra gift from Him. Besides when I die, I know God has a mansion waiting for me in heaven. There are no mansions in hell, so I will follow Jesus while I'm on earth and praise Him for what I have and what I will have in the future, but I know my treasure awaits in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment