Friday, December 11, 2009

Thirsty Deer (Or Dogs)

I was reading today in Psalm chapter 42 and in the first verse David says As a deer longs for streams of water, so I long for You, God. The first part of verse 2 says I thirst for God, the living God. That made me start thinking about being thirsty. I have been thirsty before, really thirsty and couldn't wait to get a drink of water. I have never seen a deer long for water but I'm sure it is similar to a dog. We have all seen a dog pant with drool hanging off his tongue longing for water. When we set down a bowl of water the dog goes crazy gulping the water. That made me think about my life as a Christian. I desperately want to follow God and follow His will for my life, but am I truly thirsting for Him? Are we as a Christian body truly longing for God? When we want something so bad like water, we can't wait to get it and when we get it we dive into it. That is the way we should be with God. We should thirst for Him, we should never be satisfied because we should constantly seek after Him.

In the rest of chapter 42 David fells like God has forgotten about him. His enemies are mocking and opressing him. Even though David feels like God has forgotten him he thirsts for Him anyway. David says he puts his hope in God and will still praise Him.

So lets be thirsty for God. When we think He isn't near us, we should just stop what we are doing and draw near to Him. We should be consumed by God and by His never ending love. Put your hope in God, praise Him everyday, for He has never left us or forsaken us (Heb 13:5b). Let's be like thirsty deer, or dogs. It doesn't matter which one, as long as we thirst for God.

No comments:

Post a Comment