Thursday, December 17, 2009

True Christmas Spirit

My wife called this morning and told me about something her sister has done. My wifes sister, which is my sister-in-law, is 8 years old and has always been an awesome kid. At her school there is a little girls whos house just burned to the ground. She and her family got out of the house and all they have left is the clothes they were wearing. The school asked the kids if they could to buy something for this family that just lost everything. The teacher also told them that whoever may not be able to buy anything to raise their hand and she would buy something and let it be from that student. So my sister in law, whos name is Isabel, raised her hand because she didn't know if her parents could buy anything or not. The teacher told her to find out and let her know. So Isabel goes home tells her mom about what is going on and her mom said they could definately buy something. So Isabel then tells her mom, "I don't want you to buy me anything for Christmas I just want to get this girl something." WOW!!! 8 years old and she doesn't want anything for Chsristmas. She wants to give to another girl in need. But the story doesn't stop here.

They went to Wal-Mart and found some really cool shoes that Isabel liked. She wanted to get those for the girl at her school. So they seen they were on sale (so they thought) and were going to go buy them. When they got to the register they rang up 14 dollars. They were supposed to be 7 dollars. So my mother in law told them about that and a manager came up there. He wanted to see where they were so Isabel (8 year old) took him back to the shoes to show him. When they came back up the manager said give them to her for 7 dollars. The cashier said, are they on sale? He said "No but she just told me the story of why she is buying the shoes and I have to give them to her for 7 dollars." WOW again!!! What a huge heart by the manager at Wal-Mart.

That got me thinking. Most of America can't wait until Christmas to get this and get that, especially the kids. But Isabel wanted to give to others instead of get for herself. The manager wanted to give to others when he could get more for himself. Other than Jesus being born, giving like these two have is what Christmas should be about. I believe God will bless my sister in law as well as the manager from Wal-Mart.

So lets remember this Christmas and all of our Christmas's in the future that we should focus on Jesus and give to those in need just as He did. He died for us so we could have everlasting life, a life spent with Him. Let's not focus on ourselves and what we can get, but what we can do for others. Have true Christmas Spirit this year, and as always. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment